Disclaimer: Please note that the links used in this post do generate a (super) small commission for me if you make a purchase. Follow me on TikTok @makeupmamalife for affordable makeup shopping tips.
The rage right now is a dewy foundation look that I’ve been struggling to achieve. Sometimes, if you use too much powder – it’s really hard to go back and get that dewy glow look.
I’m also looking for something that’s easy to apply and doesn’t require a perfect application. The Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Moisturizer is a sheer formula you can apply with your fingers and walk out the door. Additionally, the Face and Body foundation by Mac is an absolute game changer. Keep reading to find out what the big difference is between these two sheer foundations.
It’s also important to switch up or open a new foundation bottle once every six months because sheer foundations can go stale after awhile. I try to make it a rule that every season, I evaluate my foundations and see which ones I need to throw out or repurchase. Sometimes I do not need to repurchase foundations but especially in the summer months, I find the lighter ones have a tendency to go bad in some cases.
I’m going to do two reviews for you:
2. Mac Face and Body Foundation
Between these two products, I believe you’ll see that these are both the best sheer foundations for summer 2018.
Review: Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Moisturizer Hydrating Gel Cream
Let’s break down a few key elements of the Complexion Rescue by Bare Minerals:
- Consistency – It appears to be a bit thicker when you squeeze it out of the tube but in fact, it melts into skin really well. The Complexion Rescue is a bit thicker because it contains an SPF. SPF always makes your product more dense, hence why a lot of moisturizers don’t contain SPF if brands want them to be silky smooth!
- Packaging – Simple and easy to squeeze out on the go. Also, very easy to travel with. Feels really light in the tube, almost like there’s a lot of air! In my opinion, that’s exactly what I want when I wear sheer foundation in the summer.
- Application – The Complexion Rescue is a gel so it was really easy to apply with my fingers. No need for a beauty blender! You don’t even need a primer which is great because the less product you put on your face is best for warmer weather.
Here are the before and after shots using the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue Hydrating Gel:
Review: Mac Face and Body Foundation
The Mac Face and Body Foundation was one that I stumbled upon on another Canadian Beauty Blogger’s feed perhaps. I decided to go into Mac and try a sample of it, I loved it so much I was hooked!
Let’s break down the key factors of the Mac Face and Body Foundation
- Consistency – Mac Face and Body almost feels like water. It has the colour and tint of foundation but it is extremely runny. I find this great because it’s a water based product and I know I can trust that it isn’t too heavy and won’t melt off in the summer months.
- Packaging – Mac Face and Body comes in a squeeze tube that doesn’t take up too much room on your shelf. There are two sizes, I got the smaller 50 oz size because I use multiple sheer foundations in the summer months. You squeeze out the product so it may be hard not to squeeze out too much!
- Application – As I mentioned before, since the Mac Face and Body is a water consistency, you won’t need much in the way of a primer or beauty blender, similar to the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue, you can just apply with your fingers.
Here is the before and after shots using Mac Face and Body Foundation:
Now, the main difference between the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue and the Mac Face and Body is the SPF! I find they give me a similar dewy look which is exactly what I want. However, if you’re looking to purchase JUST one of the best sheer foundations out there right now, the Bare Minerals has the SPF included so you don’t need to put multiple layers on your face.
There you have it. The two best sheer foundations this summer have a lot of pros! Either one would make for a suitable purchase and the price points (in Canadian dollars) are the same at $30 CAD.
Let me know if you end up purchasing one of these two or another sheer foundation that you recommend!